Monday, September 04, 2006

The purpose of this blog is to document my efforts to discover is if the Zaken Corporation is a scam, as so many sites say it is, or if it is indeed a legitimate business with a legitimate work-from-home plan that could benefit those associates who are willing to put forward the effort to make it work.

To Introduce Myself

My name is Lisa Reynoso. I live with my husband Rafael, in South Texas. We have been married a year and are expecting our first baby to arrive in a couple of months. My husband has been unable to find full-time work for over six months, and when the baby comes, I am not going to work outside the home. Therefore a couple of months ago I decided to investigate working from home. Because we don't have the money to waste on scams, I have taken my time and investigated as carefully as possible everything that came may way. And let me tell you, there sure are a lot of scams out there!

What interest do I have in this personally that would lead me to go to the effort to document everything we are doing and publish it on the web as extensively as I plan to do? None, really. But I have the time to do it (which many people do not have), and I figure that if it is a scam, it needs to be exposed, and in a way that answers the questions of anyone that cares to investigate it--without them having to go to all the effort I have (and will continue to do) to find answers. If, on the other hand, it is not a scam, then those who could benefit from being associates of the business but are skeptical, like I was, will have a chance to find out without having to go to the lengths that I did. I don't expect to be paid for my efforts by anyone, except maybe having a better standard of living if it is truly not a scam (because if it isn't, I'm sure my husband will make it work).

Searching for the Perfect Home Business

When I was searching for information on starting a home business, I must have agreed to receive some entrepreneurial magazine, because I got one not to long ago in the mail. I paged through it, but could easily see that most of the job offers were scams. I knew, however, that a well-written scam would sound very much like a legitimate offer, which is really to bad for those making real offers. One particular advertisement caught my interest--the one for the Zaken Corporation. What caught my attention is the fact that it didn't ask you to send money. My husband figured that $.39 for a stamp was worth it just to see what happened, so he filled out the form and sent it in.

We just got the material in the mail last Friday. It contained a cover letter and a magazine-style letter. On page three of the magazine, I discovered that there is a $148 fee for the training materials, which made it sound like a scam. However, I decided to read far enough to see what kind of business it was, at least. It claims to be a company that buys overstock and resells it. I know this kind of thing happens all the time. That's why we have places like Fallas Paredes, the Nordstrom Rack, and a variety of dollar stores, to name a few. The question is, Does Zaken Corp. really do that?

After reading about half the letter, I got online and looked them up in the Better Business Bureau. It gave them an F. Still, I wanted more information, so I typed "Tiran Zaken" into Google. Oddly enough, the first hit to come up was the Rip Off Report, which is a service of the Bad Business Bureau. They had a number of previously filed reports by people saying it was a scam, that they had been treated badly, etc. However, they had an update that they added less than two years ago. It was very interesting and enlightening. I shared with my husband the essence of what I had found, and he began to get excited. That surprised me, because he is naturally more skeptical than I am.

We Decide Not to Rush Things

The material said we should reply right away, or risk losing out on the opportunity. That is one of the things that make sound like a scam. So we decided to call the company. We decided to call the number listed in the letterhead of the cover letter (818-407-1225), instead of calling the order line. But first we prayed and asked for two specific things. Since it was about an hour before they closed on Friday, and since Monday is a holiday, we realized making a decision wasn't urgent, and that it would be good to take the rest of the weekend to pray about it and do more research. So we prayed and asked the Lord that 1) whoever we talked to not be pushy, and 2) that there still be a position open on Tuesday, if it was worth getting into. A positive answer to both petitions would not mean that we would for sure try it, but a negative on either one would definitely decide us.

So we called. We were impressed by the fact that the company had such a fancy automated system. It doesn't seem that a business that was nothing more than a scam would have so many options. When we mistakenly selected the wrong one, we were directed to another department. This gave us the impression that this was a real company with different departments doing different things. We had listened to the menu options and thought that we should select option 6. It turned out that we needed to have selected the option for customer service, and that's where we were sent. When we got someone from customer service, my husband gave his name and said that he wanted to let them know that he had received the information and needed a few days (namely, the long weekend) to look things over, and then he might call back on Tuesday. The lady was very professional. She assured him that there were still positions open, and that she would make sure there was one open for him on Tuesday, so he could take his time.

That sounded like a positive on both accounts to me, but we still didn't want to make a decision just then. It was just too early. We thanked the Lord for the answers and asked for continued guidance.

The Research Continues

Then Sunday morning I got on the Internet and decided to do some more research. Besides what I had tried before, I typed in a number of different search combinations into Google. I searched a couple of popular article sites (EzineArticles.com and SearchWarp) to see if anyone had written an article with the word "Zaken", and in both cases came up with 0 articles. The name Zaken appears to be Norwegian or something like that, because when I typed his name alone, it came up with a bunch of foreign language sites. But whatever the case may be, I found a lot of bad reports on forums and the like. It was next to impossible to find anyone saying anything good about it, though I did find this rebuttal (read last comment) on the Rip Off Report site. One thing that I noticed, however, is that nearly everything I found predated the update on Rip Off Report.

I reread the ROR update and decided to write the EDitor. Below is a copy of what I wrote him and his reply (which, surprisingly enough for a Sunday, I discovered in my inbox a couple of hours later):

I am wondering why your website is the only one I can find that gives a positive report on the Zaken Corp--at least, the update did. Why are there so many complaints and why can't I find satisfied associates posting independently on the web?

His reply:

The answer is very simple. If you have read what I wrote in the link below, ..I'm sure you did.. What part of that did you not understand?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff91593.htm

I guess I can understand you still asking your question ... but..

Zaken clearly admits he made mistakes in the past. NO BUSINESS IS PERFECT...

Zaken definitely gave thousands in refunds to those who came to Rip-off Report in the past.

Zaken gives back FULL REFUNDS if the program did not work out, no matter what his stated policy says... Like any business, they would want their client / customer to make sure they give the program a good hard try, sooner than later.

Over the last several years Rip-off Report sent many consumers to Zaken to try out their program as a work at home business. None of the dozens or so people we sent their way have told us they wanted a refund. yet.. I will be surprised if no one contacts us.. Zaken's program, like any other business opportunity is NOT GOING TO BE FOR EVERYONE.... and Zaken clearly admits that.

Rip-off Report cannot change or help the entire world. What we can do is, - - anyone that runs across a business that is on Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program, ... they WILL GET A FULL REFUND IF THEY WERE NOT SATISFIED. (Pretty much) NO QUESTIONS ASKED... If the business does not, the member business is off the program.

Where We Stand at the Moment

About this time, I decided that I was going to get to the bottom of this, if it was possible. We live in Texas, and the Zaken Corp. is California, which is two hours earlier than us. Also, my husband has a job interview Tuesday morning early, as well as some other errands to run, which means he won't be here when they open. I work from 10:30 to 1:30 that day, so it probably won't be until sometime after noon their time that we have a chance to get back in touch with them.

I have decided to ask them some straight questions, based on the research that I have done. Below is a partial list of questions.

  • How do we find the companies to contact? Is this "inside information" free to us, or do we have to buy it?
  • Why do you need associates in different states? Why not just build another office and hire local people?
  • Suppose we look over the material and decide it's not for us. When does the 30 days start? When we receive it or when you send it? Or when our credit card is charged?

Steps That We Will Take

I am going to record the phone call, so I will be able to report accurately on what I learn. If they refuse to let me record the phone call, it will only be to their detriment, because not only will we not sign up for their offer, but I will report it here on this blog, and other places.

Then, based on the answers they give, if we decide it's worth a try, we will call and order a kit and evaluate it. As much as we can fairly share without giving away company secrets will be documented here. The promise is that we should be able to make a few thousand in the 30-day trial period. If we do, then we will report it here. If we don't, we will also report it, along with why (anything from, "because it's a scam after all" to "this kind of business isn't for us"). And after we have had a chance to make a determination as to the legitimacy of the company for ourselves, I will write an article summarizing our findings and publish it in those e-article sites I mentioned, among others. I will also post updates to any forums that come up on the first page of Google, and just maybe I'll submit an article to some magazine like Reader's Digest. Of course, one of the first places I will contact will be the Rip Off Report. And if my research puts the company in a positive light (whether we earn money with it or not), I plan on writing the BBB to inform them of our findings--but if it's really a scam, I won't bother them.

What Should You Do?

If you found this blog in your efforts to decide if the Zaken Corporation is a scam or not, then keep reading. If the blog has not been completed (the last post will probably be titled something original like "Last Post"), then bookmark this page and check back here often. When I post the last blog will be determined by the results I get. For example, if Tuesday gets me unsatisfactory answers to my questions, I will post the answers, write an article or two, publish them, add the links here, and be done with it by the end of the week. If, on the other hand, it is legitimate, it might take a month or two to finish our investigation, and only then will I finish this blog.

If you wish to contact me personally, you can send me an email to my personal email address and I will do my best to answer your questions. If you wish to speak to me personally, just include your phone number in the email and I will get back in touch with you.

I hope this blog will be of some help to you.

21 comments:

editor said...

My name is Kay Brown. I also recently ordered this course. I ran accross your blog while googling the zaken corp. Let me know how you do with it. I live in noble, Oklahoma, my email is ktombro59@hotmail.com
take care
I will be keeping up on your blog for more posts on this opportunity

The White Man said...

T-Ron is the phonetic pronounciation of the Armenian name Tiran. It's the name of an ancient king of Armenia who started a bit of a dynasty.

Most of us are descended from him.

pleasedconsumer said...

Great blog. You have opened up the subject very well

I have posted here in the past, I just want for you be aware of more new postings on this subject on pissedconsumer.com.

Please check out even more exposing articles about Tiran Zaken.

CHATIKOBO said...

I am just reviewing soliciting money from Mr. T /Zak. From my experience with many many scams. This is a legitimate business, that can appear scammy because the riks are extremely high. Just like any other investment high returns high risks right?
Here are the risks I could deduce.
1. The $148 and $6 S & H fee, might not be returned to you if you are disatisfied post 30 days. But it is impossible to be satisfied within 30 days, because, suppose you find a deal and the deal goes through, the kind of deals will take more than 30 days to close. So you might even get you money back and Mr. T may close the deal later, then you are out of luck - yes?
2. It is not clear when you will be paid the 50% And how do you know you are getting 50%, because the deal is (a) you find a custome (b) you contact Mr. T who (c) Makes a direct deal negotiation (who knows when that will close) when it doe (d) How mch did it close for? and (e) When he finally off-loads to another customer, (f) how long will it take to offload all the merchandise, (g) if he is only able to ofload 25% which might be close or less than what he paid for it, including other costs in negotiating the deal, taxes paid you will be (h) lucky to get a penny. However, (i) it i also possible you could find the Airforce want to get rid of all its F 18 fighters for the price of Salvage, and Iran want to but them at a primium, the deal goes very fast, and the planes are shipped (J) Mr. T send you a check for just one F 18, Lottery for you, even if he did not give you half the deal as he promised!
Does he really need 100 to 150 people? NO! he needs more, because yest we are in a bad economy but businesses are not falling off wall street like flies! so he needs more prospectors, but ofcourse he will be glad to re-fund money to people who are getting frustrated because the egg aint hatching as fast.
This is not just a tough business, you need to be an insider, especially those of us in the East Coast. There ar certain people who own these types of businesses and if you are not in the sysndicate forget about it. Its like a local excellent singer thinking they will have a hit record by recording 500 CD's. It is not a rip-off. BUT it is an extremely difficult business. You almost have to be a pitbull to get anywhere. I like making my money the esy way. Go to go aparing with Mike Tyson!

David McGarry said...

Well I recently recieved an offering from Zaken Corp. I'd like to know idf anyone has closed a deal yet

Chele81 said...

Thanks for the info on The Zaken Corp. I am presently trying out the course and will report my findings also.

The Gamer Hippie said...

My husband and I are avid entrepreneurs and have yet to find a business that works with us. I received this offer in the mail yesterday and we were both very interested. I will continue to check back to see your progress report. I do have to say that in many cases the work from home, EASY home based businesses are scams or at least take a large amount of time and money invested. You do have to be diligent and patient as most other businesses can take as long as 18 months for you to see success.

zchosen1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zchosen1 said...

Hi-

I too am thinking about looking at getting involved with this opportunity. So far you have done quite a bit of research and I like the questions that you will be asking. I will check back to see what Zakens response is. Thank you for your due deligence.

sol1026 said...

im planning on trying the program. please let me know if you have any updates. thank you

Unknown said...

I say the infos ont this blog is so update,Im in the process of ordering this program,but the only question I have is,"how can an associate check his/her progress in regards of the customers he/she referred,and also which one is doing the deals with the Zaken Company?
Does anybody have any info about this?

Eddie
TX

Unknown said...

I say the infos ont this blog is so update,Im in the process of ordering this program,but the only question I have is,"how can an associate check his/her progress in regards of the customers he/she referred,and also which one is doing the deals with the Zaken Company?
Does anybody have any info about this?

Eddie
TX

Rose said...

Well I am glad that you started this blog! I have a former co-worker who has asked me to check them out and that is how I found your blog.

Edward A. said...

My name is Edward and I worked in the warehouse for the Zaken Corporation and the whole family are scam artist. The Zaken family ran the company and Tiran and his wife were the main man of scam. the grandmother and grandfather were in on it as were the niece and nephew. The family was jewish and all the heads of dept were jewish and all knew of the scams that were run and not to say that jewish people are bad but these one were. I worked in warehousing and shipping and stock and saw first hand how they did things, we would have to fill orders even if we were out the product ordered and gave the consumer something else as they had to get rid of the old stock they bought. They would not return calls to those who wanted their refund and would transfer calls as to make you sick and hang up especially if you were calling from out of state. I mean who wants to stay on the line for a half hour and be charged a huge phone bill and get the run around evertime you called. I would open return mail of customer that were irate and demanded their money back and they would throw these letters away in the trash and say not to repat anything you read. Funny I have nothing against jewsih people as I have jews in my family but these people were ruthless and only truted other jewish people they knew and if you questioned what they did you were gone. I am not jewish but I am mexican and they paid the warehouse and shippers peanuts and this Tiran lived in a mansion and drove a brand new Hummer and his wife drove a brand new escalde whatever the year was at the time. The grandfather was head of the warehouse and the grandmother the mailing dept and the 16 year old niece and nephew did nothing I could see but got paid dearly. This family has no conscience and would stop at nothing to make a buck, I was cut loose for speaking up to the niece and questioning the tactics and so were others and then others just quit because they felt they did not want to be part of what they were doing. They used employees to do this scam and payed them nothing and if you were scamed then you should have read how they were booted out of New York by the BBB and known from that F rating. I noticed that the building that they had occupied is now empty so I hope that the family are in jail and the sales lady Ronit also who was in on it. Funny how a family can go to temple and pray then come to the business they have and steal from people that were trying to just get ahead.

Rugs2Riches said...

Hey all, my name is Jason, and I live in NE philly. Don't know if this will help, especially after reading the last post.... although it does sound a little anti semetic/ ex disgruntled workery.. I ordered the program myself, about 2 years ago. I didn't get a chance to test it out unfortunately,as we were in the process of switching houses at the time. what i am writing to add is when i called them to return the program, they gave me no hassle, and they refunded my money. my grandpop just recieved a direct mail piece about it, and i decided to research it again, as i am always looking at new ways of making money, both online, and off. hope this helps someone decide something. i'll check back to see the progress later. in the meanwhile, if anyone here is interested in an offline business opportunity, that is endorsed by billionaire donald trump, feel free to email me at: kulacarpet@hotmail.com, or give me a call at 215 668 2503 for a friendly chat. best wishes to all!

Unknown said...

Well, Well...Have I got a story for all of you. I have been trying to determine whether or not Zaken is a scam or not. Unlike many of you, I went all out. I received a letter in the mail...filled it out..sent the $148...but not to stop there..I also purchased the website and just recently (about as month ago now) purchased the Work-Less Earn More Profit Plan for about $1000. So, in essence I am out about $1300. Amazing, for every area they have a department, of which, it seems, every time I call, no one really has the answers to my questions. I will have to say, some departments are ruder that others. The department (affiliate for the profit plan) that I call the most frequently. She has a direct line I call to. She is very nice and all, but, appears to me, she isn't really on top of things, especially when I try to incorporate the internet into my placing of ads. I fax my ads to her regularly that I place, and she has the audacity to say that the online classifieds that I place the ads on are a scam. I really think she should seriously take a look at the company she works for. I guess the old saying holds true. You can't see the forest for the trees. You should all give her a call...805-262-6700 extension 222. As of today, I have yet to make a dime, despite all my efforts. True, they don't promise that you will succeed, and I do agree, in any business, it still takes hard work, no matter how you dice it. I will continue to to post my ads, and will continue to communicate with Zaken. I don't say something is a scam, without testing it for myself, as we all should. I have only been in the company for a short time, and I don't expect to be successful overnight. These forums can have both a positive and negative look. I choose to see the positive, before the negative. I hope my input has helped in some respects in whatever decision we make in going with the Zaken company or not. I see so many times if something doesn't work for us, the first thing we yell, is SCAM. I guess to some degree we are unsure of our own abilities, and it becomes easier to take the easy way out.

Conceive A Baby said...

i have a zaken kit, and no they don't pay a full 50%. And when you call, the so called coaches give you the runaround.
i'm thinking about buying products straight from the warehouse to sell at the flea market. its probably best to go with another wholesale company. what's that one tom bosley represent?

anyway, anyone interested in income distribution pls. visit Flordia Lottery, Play From Anywhere In the World

Yvonne said...

My Name is Yvonne and i also receive mail for Zaken, after reading this and calling their office talking to the rude staff that is there not my money, will look for something else.

Hansen Marketing said...

Sharon had posted a question at the end of her post about the wholesale company that Bosley represents..its SMC that you are talking about. SMC are good but why pay them a membership to buy wholesale when there are plenty of other wholesalers out there wanting your business? I buy a lot of products from kevsales.com and there are tons of listings at wholesalecentral.com Hope this info helps! Take care!

Unknown said...

After reading and researching the company I decided not to invest my $148 you guys helped me out Thanks for saving my Money!!

Toiya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.